To cast this sculpture I needed a two-part mold, and I decided to split the mold along one of the segmented portions of the creature's body. The clay wall split ended up just above where the body is tapering off, so I had no undercuts.
To make sure as much of the sculpted detail as possible got into the mold, the first layer of dental plaster was brushed on with a soft, broad brush. The rest of the plaster was mixed rather thickly and ladled on with a spatula.
Here's the bottom section with a pair of improvised clay "legs" added to the torso, just so there would be two funnels where I could pour in the latex.
Before joining the two halves of the torso I've added jointed legs and two thin metal wires to create small tentacled arms. All limbs were covered with soft string and thin polyurethane foam to build up bulk and shapes.
And here's the finished critter. The toes are built up with cotton and latex, as is that curiously familiar worm-like appendage between his legs. Washes of purple, blue and red acrylic airbrush colors added the final touch, along with Glossy Accents scrapbooking liquid plastic around the mouth area to simulate glistening moisture.